Organic Vegetable Stock
To make good vegetable soup, or vegetable dish; a basic vegetable stock concentrate
is an essential. It may be really easy to buy vegetable stock off the shelf,
but it is always better and healthier to make your own. On top of that, you can
customise your own stock by adding in different ingredients.
Although you do need quite a few ingredients, but preparing this simple, basic stock
is really not as hard as you might think it would be.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large organic red onion, chopped in small chunks
- 2 large organic carrots, chopped in small chunks
- 1 organic parsnips, chopped
in small chunks
- 2 stalks organic celery, with leaves
- 8 cloves organic garlic, minced
- 8 stalks fresh parsley
- 6 stalks fresh thyme
- 2 basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 pints water
- Heat oil in a saucepan. Stir in red onion, carrot, parsnip, celery, garlic,
parsley, thyme, and basil leaves. Cook over high heat for 5 to 10 minutes,
- Add sea salt and stir for about 2 minutes.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
Strain and remove vegetables.
- Makes approximately 6 cups.
- To prepare stock for future usage, let it stand and cool to room temperature.
Carefully pour stock into an ice tray, and freeze it. You can just take the
number of cubes you need whenever you cook.
- You can easily replace the herbs with any other herbs of your preference,
for example rosemary, bay leaves, etc.
- Carrot and parsnip basically provide the flavour to the stock, but corn can
also be a very good choice for that purpose. Any vegetable with a distinctive
taste or aroma can be a good choice for a custom-made stock. Be adventurous!
| Adzuki Bean
| Festive Food
| Poultry |
| Stir Fry
| Vegetarian |