Organic Tomato Soup For Two
Submitted by Holly
This is a really simple but great-tasting soup that I often make for my boyfriend,
especially when he is down with a cold. Works every time! Nothing like those synthetic
tasting canned tomato soup, but made with fresh, locally grown organic tomatoes, and -
love! You'll never want to go back to the canned stuff. I have here a recipe enough for two.
Remember to buy your tomatoes from your local farm or market, it makes such a great difference!
- 6 fresh local tomatoes
- 1 red onion, sliced or finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 cup water
- A handful of finely chopped coriander leaves
- A pinch of pepper
- A pinch of sea salt to taste
- A dollop of vegetable spread
- Wash the tomatoes, run boiling water over it and let it soak for a few minutes.
- Drain, and the skin can now be peeled off easily. Cut the tomatoes into small chunks.
- In a deep saucepan, heat the olive oil and saut? the onion and garlic on medium heat till they are soft and rather transparent.
- Add in the tomato chunks and basil, cook on low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add in the vegetable stock and let it simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add in the tomato puree and water, cover it but leave a little gap to avoid over boiling.
- Simmer it on low heat for about 10 minutes, with regular stirring and checking.
- When soup is brought down to the thickness you prefer, melt in vegetable spread, and add in enough sea salt to your taste.
- Sprinkle pepper and coriander leaves and serve with some croutons.
- Basil brings out the best taste in tomato, but it doesn't mean you can't use any other herbs.
- If you are really lazy and have to use a ready made vegetable stock, try not to use the whole cube, or, if it's in powder form, use half the amount as instructed. Otherwise it may overpower the real tomato taste.
- You could also replace vegetable stock with a couple of carrots, blend into paste or juice. That alone will give a sweet-ish taste to the soup.
| Adzuki Bean
| Festive Food
| Poultry |
| Stir Fry
| Vegetarian |