Tomato and Basil Cheese on Toast
Submitted by Dave
This is highly idiot-proof and it is great for a quick and tasty lunch. A jazzed-up
variant of the usual cheese-on-toast, great for students or singles living away from home.
- 2 slices fresh bread (white, wholemeal, whatever you like best)
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- Several fresh basil leaves
• 3-4 slices of cheddar cheese for each slice of bread
• A few chunks of feta cheese (optional)
- Toast one side of the bread then remove it from the grill.
- Turn the bread over and cover it with a layer of sliced cheese.
- Then put the sliced tomato and the basil leaves on top of the cheese,
dividing evenly on each slice of bread.
- Add a few chucks of feta cheese.
- Put it back under the grill for 3-4 minutes. When the cheese starts to bubble
and the edges of the bread turned brown, remove from the grill and serve.
- You can use any cheese of your choice but English cheddar is always a good choice.
- If you are a vegan, try using a melting style soya cheese.
- Fresh basil is great for this but if you do not have any, dried mixed herbs is fine too.
- If you are a meat-eater, you can also add chopped-up pieces of ham with the tomatoes for a bit of variety.
| Adzuki Bean
| Festive Food
| Poultry |
| Stir Fry
| Vegetarian |