Submitted by Dave
A great variant of beef stroganoff for vegetarians, also a good option for those who
love Stroganoff but would like to cut down on the red meat.
- 200-300g fresh mushrooms
- 1-2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- half an onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 glass red wine
- 2-3 tablespoons créme fraiche or double cream
- 1 dessert spoon of cornflour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon of mixed dried herbs
- Olive oil
- Wash and quarter the mushrooms and chop up the garlic and onions.
- Put the mushrooms and paprika in a bag and give the bag a shake to
coat the mushrooms (I use the bag I get the veges in from the
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the dried mixed herbs to get the aroma started.
- Gently cook the garlic and onion for a few minutes until it starts to go brown.
- Add the mushrooms and turn up the heat to cook them quickly and seal
in their juices.
- When the mushrooms turn soft and brown, after 3-4 minutes, add the red
wine and turn down the heat to let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Thicken the sauce by mixing the cornflour with some water to form a
paste and then stir it in to the mixture in the pan.
- Finally stir in the cream or créme fraiche and let it simmer for 3-4
minutes before serving
- Button mushrooms are a great pick but a variety of wild mushrooms could also add a surprising difference.
- If you like a little more bite to the dish, try adding some cauliflower. Just add it in before the mushrooms
as it takes slightly longer to soak in the taste.
| Adzuki Bean
| Festive Food
| Poultry |
| Stir Fry
| Vegetarian |