Mild Vegetable Curry
Submitted by Holly
I like vegetable curry but have never liked to buy vegetarian food off the shelf.
Here is a very simple vegetable curry dish that is most unlikely to burn
your tongue, if you're not used to really hot and spicy food. I've also
made this vegan-friendly (unless you don't even take onion and garlic)
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium courgette, cut into small 1-cm chunks
- 50g cauliflower, cut into small 1-cm chunks
- 50g carrot, cut into small 1-cm chunks
- 50g long bean, cut into small 1-cm chunks
- 50g peas, cut into small 1-cm chunks
- A hand full of curry leaves (fresh or dried)
- Half tablespoon freshly ground corriander seed
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- A pinch of ground black pepper
- 400ml coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons ground almond
- 1 cup Vegetable stock
- salt to taste (optional)
- Heat oil in a wok, or a large saucepan till it's nearly boiling.
- Pour in ground corriander seed, minced garlic, red onion and white onion,
stir and cook under medium heat till the mixture is soft and pasty.
- Add in courgette, cauliflower, carrot and minced ginger, stir and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Now add in long bean and peas, then the ground almond. Continue to cook for
another 5 minutes, stir regularly.
- Add in turmeric, ground black pepper and curry leaves, stir and mix well.
- Pour in coconut milk and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, then simmer
it over low heat till it is brought down to about 2/3.
- Add a little salt to taste, serve with steaming hot boiled rice.
- Serve 3-4.
- This recipe can also be converted into a meat dish. See Mild Chicken Curry.
- If you dislike the essence of coconut milk, you can use milk (if you're not a vegan) or soya milk.
However, the curry would not be as creamy or as aromatic.
- For those who are cooking for 1 or 2 persons, you can use frozen mixed vegetable of your choice,
to reduce the hassle of measuring and cutting up various types of vegetable.
| Adzuki Bean
| Festive Food
| Poultry |
| Stir Fry
| Vegetarian |