Kale and Mushroom Spicy Stir Fry with Anchovy and Dried Shrimp
The kale used here is the Chinese kale called jie-lan (Mandarin) or gai-lan/kai-lan (Cantonese).
The anchovies and dried shrimp will give some seafood flavour to the dish; and by adding some soya sauce to it, there
is no salt needed.
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2-cm length ginger, finely chopped
- 1 large red chili, chopped into small chunks
- 1 tablespoon dried shrimp, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried anchovies, finely chopped
- 100g Chinese kale
- 50g shitake mushroom, sliced
- 2 tablespoons light soya sauce
- Rinse kale thoroughly and cut into 3- or 4-cm length.
- Heat some vegetable oil in the wok till it is hot but not smokey. On medium heat, brown the garlic, onion and ginger, then add in the dried shrimp and anchovies. Saute for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Increase heat and stir in the cut chili then the mushrooms. Stir fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the kale and soya sauce. Add a glass of water, keep stirring till the leaves are evenly covered in the gravy, let it simmer for 2 minutes.
- Serve with hot boiled rice.
- Shitake mushroom can be replaced with any other type of mushrooms.
- Sprinkling a little sugar over the kale at step 4 will help keep the kale stay green and crunchy.
- If you prefer really spicy food, feel free to add in more chilies.
| Adzuki Bean
| Festive Food
| Poultry |
| Stir Fry
| Vegetarian |