Vegetarian Stuffed Tofu (Niang Dou Fu)
This is the vegetarian alternative to the Spicy Stuffed Tofu. As
delicious as the non-vegetarian one, this is an even healthier option!
- 4 pieces of firm tofu, cut into halves.
(You have to buy firm tofu not the silken ones,
because you need it to be strong enough to contain the stuffing.)
- 300gm soya mince
- 1 cup vegetable stock; OR 1 vegetable
stock cube, dilute in half a bowl of water
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 red capsicum (large pepper)
- Several water chest nuts, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons corn flour
- A pinch of sea salt
- A pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder or paprika (for a milder taste)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 stalks spring onion (the green bit), finely chopped (keep a handful for garnishing)
- 3-4 fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Soak soya mince in the bowl of vegetable stock solution.
- Heat up the sesame oil in a pan, fry minced garlic and chopped
shallot till they are brown.
- Pour in the rest of ingredients B (except corn flour) and stir
fry on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the soaked soya mince, stir fry for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the corn flour slowly, a little sprinkle at a time, to avoid lumps.
- Stir fry till mixture is thick, and sticky.
- Slit the tofu on one side, to make a small opening in the middle.
- Stuff the fried mixture into the slit, till it is full.
- Heat some sesame oil in a pan and pan-fry the stuffed tofu on medium heat.
- Turn each stuffed tofu every 2-3 minutes to make sure both side is cooked.
- Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Put it into a large dish, and pour the remained hot oil over the tofu.
- Granish with chopped spring oinion.
- Makes 8 stuffed tofu.
- The stuffing needs to be pre-cooked because it has no meat to hold it together.
Cooking in corn flour with help glue the mixture together.
- This dish requires firmer tofu to be able to hold the stuffing, without easily broken.
- The slits should not be too deep or too close to the edge to avoid breaking the tofu.
- The stuffed tofu can also be steamed instead of pan-fried.
- You can also sprinkle some soya sauce over the stuffed tofu for some extra flavour.
| Adzuki Bean
| Festive Food
| Poultry |
| Stir Fry
| Vegetarian |