Aromatic Steamed Tofu
Here is a very simple, delicious, and quick to prepare tofu dish.
Almost every Chinese has had this at least once in their life. The
aroma comes from the use of sesame oil, garlic, onion, herbs and
oyster sauce. You can easily buy the ingredients used in this recipe.
It can be a really good appetiser, or as one of the main dishes.
- 4 pieces tofu approximately 3x3 inches each
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoon ground or crushed cashew nut
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce (optional)
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- Put the tofu into a steamer and steam it on low for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat up sesame oil in a pan. Stir in garlic, mixed herbs, onion and ground cashew nut.
- Keep frying on medium till onion is brown and crispy, reduce heat to low.
- Add in oyster sauce and soya sauce and stir fry for about 2-3 minutes.
- Put the steamed tofu onto a plate. Pour the hot sauce mixture over tofu.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with boiled rice.
- The amount of garlic and onion can be increased or reduced according to individual's requirement.
- Cashew nut can be replaced with peanut or even anchovy. To make the anchovy crispy,
more oil is needed and sprinkle a pinch of sugar over it will help too.
| Adzuki Bean
| Festive Food
| Poultry |
| Stir Fry
| Vegetarian |