Traditional Basic Egg Fried Rice
Today, you may be able to buy egg fried rice from Chinese restaurants or takeaways.
But traditionally, it was only a dish invented from left over rice. It has been such a
convenient dish especially when you cannot decide what to cook, have hardly anything
in the fridge, or just cannot cook anything more complicated.
As a matter of fact, cooled-off rice makes better fried rice because of its dryer and less sticky texture;
so it's not just a money- or time-saving meal.
- 1 bowl cold boiled rice
- 1 egg, beat
- 1 tablespoon light soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- Heat oil on high in a wok or a deep saucepan.
- Stir in beaten egg and fry for about 1 minute.
- Add in soya sauce and water, stir well.
- Separate the fried egg into tiny pieces with the spatula.
- Pour in rice, stir well with sauce.
- Turn heat to medium and contnue to fry for 2-3 minutes, or till rice is golden brown.
- Serves 1.
- Soya sauce can be replaced with a pinch of sea salt, but it will not give the
yellow-brown colour to the rice.
- Feel free to add some carrot cubes and peas to make it more colourful and crunchier.
- Some Chinese (from different area geographically) prefer the egg fried rice in
a slightly darker colour . This can be done by using a thick or dark soya sauce
instead of light soya sauce.
| Adzuki Bean
| Festive Food
| Poultry |
| Stir Fry
| Vegetarian |