Aromatic Boiled Rice
If you fancy a little more than the usual boiled rice but
nothing too fancy, you can easily jazz it up by quickly stir-fry the rice in some sesame
oil and herbs, to give the rice a great texture and appetising aroma. It would also
make the rice less sticky, and simmers better.
- 2 cups white basmati rice, rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- Heat sesame oil on high in a medium sized deep saucepan.
- Add in mixed herbs and let it simmer for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in basmati rice and stir it well for another 2-3 minutes, till it is beaming with aroma of sesame oil and herbs.
- Pour in water and bring it to a boil.
- Turn heat to medium and let rice simmer for about 15 minutes, till water is absorbed to rice level.
- Fluff the rice with a pair of chopstick or fork to make sure it does not stick to the base.
- Cover the rice and let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes till all water is absorbed.
- Fluff the rice again before serving.
- Serves 2, with your favourite dishes.
- You can substitute sesame oil with other oils with strong aroma such as basil oil.
- If you are using brown rice, pre-soak the rice for about an hour. Alternatively, double-up the amount of water used; and abviously it will take longer time to cook.
| Adzuki Bean
| Festive Food
| Poultry |
| Stir Fry
| Vegetarian |