Japanese Style Adzuki Bean Jelly
Submitted by Ginleng
I once had this in a Japanese restaurant and loved it so much, but am worried
about the sugar content in the ready-made once so I tried making it myself.
I referred to your Adzuki Bean Paste recipe, and
combined it with how jelly is normally prepared. Voila!
- 250g kidney bean, rinsed and soaked for 1 hour
- 200g adzuki bean, rinsed and soaked for 1 hour
- 2 stalks of lemon grass, crushed lightly
- A few slices of fresh ginger
- A little bit of malt
- 8 teaspoons of Konyaku powder
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- 8 glasses of water
- Cook kidney bean, ginger, and lemon grass together in 500ml water till bean is softened, reduce water
to the level of the bean. Add in malt, stir well. Discard lemon grass and ginger.
- Cook kidney bean in 400ml water till it is softened, and till water
is almost reduced to the level of the bean. Blend into a paste.
- In another pot, boil jelly ingredients on medium heat. Slowly add in
kidney bean and adzuki bean paste.
- Mix well and pour it into a large mould.
- Leave it to cool before chilling it in the refrigerator.
- Serve hot or chilled.
- You can increase or reduce the amount of brown sugar according to your taste.
- This dessert taste really good on a hot summer day.
- You can slightly alter the amount of water used in the jelly, to adjust the firmness.
| Adzuki Bean
| Festive Food
| Poultry |
| Stir Fry
| Vegetarian |