Vegetarian Adzuki Bean
You would like to try this very common, day-to-day sweet snack amongst the Chinese.
Very similar to the methods of Steamed Rice Cake,
except this is sweet and not savoury. The ones you get off the shops are usually
packed with sugar, but this is made with blackstrap molasses and the amount
is reasonably reduced. Moreover, you will know what you are eating.
- 1 cup organic adzuki bean
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup blackstrap molasses
- 2 cups organic brown or white rice flour
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cups soya milk
- Boil adzuki bean in water till bean is soft, but with husk in tack, and not mushy.
- Place rice flour in a mixing bowl, add in coconut milk, soya milk, and blackstrap molasses.
Stir into a smooth paste.
- Add in the cooked adzuki bean. Stir well without mashing the beans.
- Transfer the paste into a dish or mould, steam it for about 15 minutes, or till
the cake is firm to the touch.
- Leave to cool before cutting into pieces.
- Serve with a hot cup of jasmine tea.
- The soya milk can be replaced with full cream milk if you wish. But do
not use skimmed or low fat milk, it won't do the taste any good.
- The blackstrap molasses can also be substitute with melted set honey.
| Adzuki Bean
| Festive Food
| Poultry |
| Stir Fry
| Vegetarian |