Adzuki Bean Muffins
If we can have adzuki bean rice cake,
adzuki bean pie, and adzuki bean bread,
then why not muffins? It is practically combining a basic muffin recipe with sweet tasting
Ingredients - Adzuki Bean Paste:
- 30g adzuki bean, soaked over night
- 500ml water
- 1 teaspoon chopped candied orange peel
- 1 1/2 tbsps brown sugar
- 2-3 screwpine leaves
Ingredients - Muffin Batter:
- 100g plain flour
- 30g brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 60ml vegetable oil
- 60ml plain yoghurt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Place all the adzuki bean paste ingredients in a deep saucepan Bring to a boil then let it simmer on the lowest heat you can get,
with the lid on, for about 2 hours or until the beans are soft and the water is almost absorbed. If the beans are still hard, just
add in a small bowl of water and cook further.
- When bean paste is done, remove from heat and set aside.
- Set the oven to 185°C, and lightly grease a muffin pan
or line it with paper baking cups.
- Combine all the wet ingredients for muffin batter in a bowl or a measuring jug.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the middle. Gradually pour the wet ingredients mixture into
the well whilst folding together gently just until the dry ingredients are moistened. The batter should still be lumpy.
- Gently fold in the adzuki bean paste.
- Spoon the batter into each cup/muffin pan mould evenly, filling up to about 3/4 of the depth.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes. Yields 5-6, depending on the size of the cups/moulds.
- This is also great when you have some leftover adzuki bean paste - saves you some time.
- If you can't get hold of screwpine leaves, just opt it out. It won't hurt the muffins.
- Don't worry about sprinkling beans over the top of the batter, as they will harden when exposed to direct heat in the oven.
Some beans will be pushed up and out during baking and will naturally decorate the muffins anyway.
| Adzuki Bean
| Festive Food
| Poultry |
| Stir Fry
| Vegetarian |