Creamy Adzuki and Purple Rice Porridge
Reasonably easy-to-prepare creamy dessert from the popular Chinese dessert selection.
Really good for keeping that rosy tinge on your cheeks. Best served moderately hot.
- 1 cup of Adzuki bean, rinsed and soaked for 1 hour
- 2 cups of purple rice, rinsed
- 10 cups of water
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- Rock sugar to taste
- Fill a deep pot with water and adzuki bean, bring to a boil and then simmer
on medium heat till husk is detached from bean.
- Add in purple rice, bring it to another boiling point, reduce heat and continue to
cook till rice grains have expended and become pasty
(this usually takes about 30 minutes of low heat stirring).
- Add in rock sugar according to your desired taste.
- Stir in coconut milk, mix well.
- Make a paste by mixing tapioca flour with 1/4 cup of water, pour it into the porridge.
Stir for about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Serve hot or chilled.
- You can increase or reduce the amount of coconut milk depending on your preference.
- The amount of purple rice and tapioca flour can also be increased if you prefer the porridge to
be thicker, and vice versa.
- Purple rice is actually a dark coloured glutinous rice, also called 'black glutinous rice' in Chinese.
| Adzuki Bean
| Festive Food
| Poultry |
| Stir Fry
| Vegetarian |