Adzuki Bean Savoury Pie
Submitted by Janie
This is one of the very few varieties of savoury adzuki bean recipes. Adzuki bean has been great for
making desserts like sweet pies, but with the use of lemon
juice in cooking the filling, it actually makes the bean taste right in a savoury dish.
- 90g salted butter
- 180g plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon castor sugar
- Some cold water
- 200 gram adzuki bean, soaked overnight and rinsed
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 4 large stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 egg, beaten, or a little milk for glazing (optional)
- Prepare the pastry with the above scaled-down ingredients.
- Cook the adzuki bean in about 400ml water until soft or until almost all of the water has been absorbed. Put aside.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan on low. Stir in the onion, celery and garlic, and let it simmer for about 10 minutes with the lid on.
- Add in the ginger and cinnamon and cook for 1 minute, constantly stirring.
- Stir in the cooked adzuki bean, lemon juice, sea salt, sage, parsley and thyme then cover and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Heat the oven to 200°C.
- Roll out 2/3 of the pastry to line a 20-cm pie dish. Lightly poke several holes on the pastry with a fork. Pour in the adzuki bean filling.
- Roll out the the remaining pastry to cover the top of the pie. Trim away excess pastry, and secure the sides by twisting the pastry into a fluted pattern or just lightly press it with a fork.
- Make a small incision in the middle of the pie top crust for steam to escape through. Brush with beaten egg or milk (if using) and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes before cutting to serve.
- You can replace the sea salt with some light soya sauce.
- Do without the egg/milk glazing for vegan diet.
- Should you like a bit of meat in it, try adding some bacon chips in with the herbs.
| Adzuki Bean
| Festive Food
| Poultry |
| Stir Fry
| Vegetarian |