Adzuki Bean Ice Cream
This is slightly different from Adzuki Bean Popsicle,
and more complicated in preparation. Nevertheless, you can buy Adzuki Bean Ice Cream
in many Asian countries, as it is also another popular flavour of ice cream.
- 1 cup adzuki beans, rinse and soak for 1 hour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice or orange juice
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half or light cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Combine the azuki beans, 1/3 cup of sugar, lemon juice and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, and continue cooking for about 10 minutes. Simmer it on low heat for a further 2 1/2 to 3 hours, until the beans are soft.
- Strain the cooked beans, and blend into fine texture with a blender. Refrigerate.
- Mix egg yolks and brown sugar in a medium bowl and whisk until the mixture is thick.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the milk and cream. Boil it over medium heat, slowly stir in the egg yolk mixture and cook over low heat for about 5 minutes until it is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat, and stir in the vanilla essence. Refrigerate.
- Stir mixture A and mixture B together once they are cold. Freeze in an ice cream maker, according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- When preparing the cream mixture, do not over heat to avoid lumps.
- To get a fresh, sweet pink colour, add 2 tablespoons of neat beetroot juice to the cream mixture.
| Adzuki Bean
| Festive Food
| Poultry |
| Stir Fry
| Vegetarian |