Steamed Mushroom Chicken with Garlic and Ginger
Steaming is one of the easiest cooking method, whereby you can just put it all in and relax
whilst waiting for it to cook. As chicken has natural fat, we don't need extra oil for steaming either
so it is relatively healthier. It will also produce a tasty juice in the dish. This is so easy that even
a beginner in the kitchen can handle it no problem. You can also try simple steamed chicken thighs.
- 1/4 Chicken, fresh or completely thawed if frozen
- A thumb-size ginger, minced or finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced or finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 small broccoli, cut into bite size
- 50g button mushrooms, halved
- A handful of chopped coriander leaves (optional)
- Clean the chicken thoroughly and trim away excessive fat.
- Mix the ginger, garlic, salt and sesame oil together and rub it all over the chicken. Marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Boil the water in a steamer. Place the chicken in a deep dish, with the mushrooms scattered around the chicken.
- Place it in the steamer when the water in the steamer starts boiling. Steam on high for about 1 hour.
- Poke a needle or skewer through the meat. If the juices run clear, place the broccoli around the chicken.
Continue to steam for a further 10 minutes. Otherwise, steam the chicken further before adding in the broccoli.
- When cooked, sprinkle with the chopped coriander leaves. Add a little freshly ground pepper if desired.
- Serves 2 with boiled rice.
- If you don't have a steamer, a large deep stock pot will do too. Just place the dish over a wire stand (about 3 inches high)
in the pot then fill water up to just before the top of the stand.
- The Chinese usually chop the chicken into bite-size pieces (on the bone), but you can do whichever way you like. Just
remember that the bigger chunk the meat is, the longer the steaming time.
- The amount of garlic and ginger can be varied according to your taste.
- You can also try it with other types of mushrooms: Chinese black mushrooms or oyster mushrooms.
| Adzuki Bean
| Festive Food
| Poultry |
| Stir Fry
| Vegetarian |