Leftover Turkey Pie
Submitted by Eco Home Projects
Got too much leftover turkey from Christmas lunch? Use it to make a tasty pie along with other leftovers such as vegetable and gravy.
We've made this Turkey Leftover Pie with the leftover pastry from making Mince Pies.
Roughly makes an 10" pie, serves 3-4.
- 500g shortcrust pastry (can be made fresh from 200g butter and 400g flour)
- 200-300g shredded turkey meat
- Leftover gravy
- Leftover vegetable (carrots, peas, brussel sprouts)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour dissolved in a little water
- In a saucepan, heat the butter on medium and saute the onion till it is soft and slightly caramelised.
- Add in the turkey meat, cook for 2-3 minutes then add in the leftover vegetables. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour in the leftover gravy and the tapioca water, keep stirring, and cook till the gravy is thickened.
- Season with pepper, remove from heat and put aside.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Roll out half the pastry to about 5mm thick, and big enough to line a 10" pie dish.
Carefully line the base of the pie dish and trim excess, leaving a little over the edge.
- Pour half the turkey and vegetable filling into the pie case, then arrange the sliced eggs over it, in one layer.
- Top with the remaining filling, levelled.
- Roll out the rest of the pastry. Brush the edge of the bottom pastry with some egg yolk (if there is any leftover) or some water.
Place the pastry over the pie. Trim away excess pastry and lightly press the edge together.
Twist the pastry edge into a pattern or just press down with a fork to mark some simple patterns on it.
- Puncture a little hole in the middle of the pastry lid to let steam through when cooking.
- Place in the oven and cook for 30-35 minutes, or until crust is light golden brown.
- Rest for 10-15 minutes before cutting up to serve.
- The size of the pie will depend on the amount of leftover you have.
- If there is no leftover gravy, you can use a quarter of a vegetable or chicken stock cube mixed with 100ml of water and 1 tablespoon of tapioca flour.
| Adzuki Bean
| Festive Food
| Poultry |
| Stir Fry
| Vegetarian |