Fried Custard Square (Leche Frita)
Requested by Elizabeth
This has been requested by a user, who had tried a dessert called Fried Milk in a
Chinese restaurant. We however, have this Spanish recipe called Leche Frita that fits very closely to
the descriptions. We have tried it ourselves and we love it, so we decided that we
shall share this with all of you.
- 1 litre milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Peel of 1 citrus fruit (orange or lemon)
- 6 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 beaten eggs for coating
- Oil for deep-frying
- Ground cinnamon and powdered sugar for coating
- In a saucepan combine milk and cinnamon stick, bring to a boil.
Reduce to low heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In another large saucepan, beat egg yolks till it turns light
yellow. Beat in the sugar to the egg yolk, folowed by cornstarch.
- Stir in a few tablespoons of the hot milk, then gradually stir in the rest.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes
or till mixture is thickened. Discard citrus peel and cinnamon stick.
- Pour it into a large, greased rectangular baking dish and leave to cool, then
refrigerate overnight before cutting it into small squares.
- Coat squares with flour and dip in the beaten egg.
- Heat oil in a fryer or deep wok, fry squares till golden brown all over. Drain oil.
- Lightly sprinkle a mixture of powdered sugar and ground cinnamon and sprinkle before
- This dessert is, in fact, very rich. So if you have high blood pressure or
high cholesterol, you are advised not to have it too frequently or in large amount.
- Feel free to alter the amount of sugar to your taste. We always prefer brown sugar to white.
| Adzuki Bean
| Festive Food
| Poultry |
| Stir Fry
| Vegetarian |