Low Cholesterol English Pancake with Egg White
Submitted by Dave
Often find yourself left with too much egg white? Make a pancake with it.
It is much lower in cholesterol, but equally tasty.
- 7-8 heaped tablespoons of Flour (7 oz)
- 2 egg Whites
- 1 egg (whole)
- 1 big mug of milk (375 ml)
- Add the flour, egg whites, egg and milk into a bowl and whisk
it up, don't worry about the odd lump, just whisk it until most of
them have gone. This method is pretty quick, and it produces authentic
- Heat up a pan, then turn it down to a medium
heat. Add some vegetable oil, or unsalted butter. Gently move the pan around, slowly tip it a little bit from
side to side to coat it with the oil.
- Scoop in some of the batter with a tea cup (about 1/2 to 3/4 of a tea cup for each pancake).
- As soon as you add the batter, move the pan around, gently tip it from
side to side again, moving the batter around to evenly coat the bottom
of the pan. It takes nearly a minute to cook one side, then flip it
over with a spatula and cook the other side for about a minute.
- Pile the pancakes up on a plate. The ones on the top keep
the ones on the bottom warm. Start the next pancake by adding oil or
butter to the pan and repeat the process.
- Serve the pancake with lemon juice and sugar, syrup, jam,
lemon curd, or kaya.
- Makes 4 English pancakes (serves 2).
- Some people like to add a pinch of salt and an ounce or two of melted
butter into the mix. I don't because I like to serve it with sliced
banana and a big splash of syrup, which is probably rich enough.
- English pancakes have a bit of texture to them, and they are a little
bit thicker than the ones you get in Europe. If you like them thinner,
add a drop of water (75 ml) into the mix. You can also try sifting the
flour before adding the eggs, then add the milk gradually, folding it
into the mix if you prefer pancakes to be fluffy.
- Should you not have any extra egg white, just use 2 eggs for the recipe.
- More egg white left? Treat yourself to a pore-tightening facial.
| Adzuki Bean
| Festive Food
| Poultry |
| Stir Fry
| Vegetarian |