Creamy Coconut Milk Agar Agar
Submitted by Zam
You may easily buy this Coconut milk agar-agar in the cake shop or bakery in Malaysia. But my
mum often home-make it for any tea party or special occasion. You can see this in almost
any 'jamuan' (party) you attend in Malaysia, and it is a really common yet popular dessert.
The dessert is totally natural, even with pandan leaves (screwpine) as the natural colouring
and essence. You should be able to buy the pandan leaves from some herb and spice shops,
if you are not in Asia.
- 1 packet of agar-agar, rinsed (usually 35gram per packet)
- 4 glasses (large) water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or enough to taste
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups coconut milk/cream
- 6 pandan leaves
- Grind 3 pandan leaves and extract its juice through a strainer.
- Boil the water in a medium saucepan with the remaining pandan leaves.
- Add in the agar-agar and boil till it is all dissolved.
- Stir in the brown sugar and pandan extract, till all sugar is dissolved. Turn heat to low.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl, and mix it with coconut milk/cream.
- Pour the egg-coconut cream mixture into the saucepan with the agar-agar, stir well and let it simmer for a short while, then turn the heat off.
- Transfer the agar-agar mixture into your desired molds or containers. Chill it when cool and set.
- Any container can be used as a mold. I like using little cups, ice cream bowls, and ice trays with all kinds of shapes.
- You can adjust the texture by altering the amount of water - slightly more water for a softer texture, and less water for something more solid.
- Try our other agar-agar recipes: Milo Agar-Agar, Adzuki Bean Agar-Agar with Coconut Milk, and Chocolate Agar-Agar.
- If normal strip form agar-agar cannot be obtained, you can use powdered agar-agar
too. The amount would be the same: 35 grams strip = 35 grams powder.
Suggest a dish to us and we will try to source it for you.
| Adzuki Bean
| Festive Food
| Poultry |
| Stir Fry
| Vegetarian |